This Year's Project: Facility repairs
Producing 70 events with attendance of more than 7,500, Community Players is one of Nebraska's most active performing arts organizations. Community Players connects our community through opportunities to perform, learn, collaborate, and be entertained. Classic shows, new works, educational programs, and special events inspire our community to be a better place through the arts. Six shows in our regular season of musicals and plays bring together performers from throughout Southeast Nebraska. Three family/youth productions featuring young performers educates the next generation. Several other special live events and collaborations expand the impact of the theatre. The lights never go out at Community Players.
Current Project: Facility repairs
Rarely is there a day without a performance, concert, event, or rehearsal taking place at Community Players’ downtown Beatrice venue. All that activity means the building, which has housed the theatre since 1981, is in need of some repairs and TLC. The Big Give goal of $5,000 will kick start a larger, approximately $50,000 building repair effort that will allow the facility to continue serving as an entertainment and cultural hub for the community.
What needs to be repaired? There are several critical and secondary elements that need work throughout the building. Some of the major items include:
- Roof. There are several leaks in various parts of the building. Fortunately none are above the audience (yet), but some are above the stage area and multiple are backstage.
- Water. When it rains water enters the building from under most of the building’s emergency exits. There have also been several plumbing issues recently, including a water main break, and a burst pipe in the lobby restrooms (during a show).
- Air conditioning. The backstage AC unit is original to the initial 1981 renovation of the building.
- General building repairs. It has been nearly 20 years since major maintenance has been done on the exterior of the building, this includes the front door which needs replaced, and stucco repair.
- Equipment replacement. Several major pieces of production equipment are nearing the ends of their expected life-spans including lighting controls and stock scenery.
How will all these projects be paid for if today’s goal of $5,000 is just the kick start? The funds raised today will be combined with other resources, and used as matching funds for grant applications making your contribution today even more impactful.