This Year's Project: Nutrition Delivery Van
About Our Organization
Blue Rivers Area Agency on Aging's mission is to develop a support system of coordinated and comprehensive services for older individuals that promotes a safe, healthy, and independent lifestyle. Blue Rivers serves Gage, Jefferson, Johnson, Nemaha, Otoe, Pawnee, Richardson, and Thayer counties.
At Blue Rivers Area Agency on Aging, we assist, protect and advocate for elderly Nebraskans so they may choose the community-based living option that best meets their needs. Founded in 1974, we continue to be a vital local resource for seniors age 60 and over & others needing assistance in our service area.
Blue Rivers Area Agency on Aging offers the following services:
- Housekeeping/Handyman Services
- Respite Care
- Public Transportation
- Care Management
- Personal Emergency Response System
- Meals - Home Delivered or To Go
- Information, Assistance & Outreach
- Legal Services
- Advocates Health Promotion & Education
- Aged and Disabled Medicaid Waiver
Current Project: Nutrition Delivery Van
During this time of social distancing, and with the suspension of congregate meals at our senior centers, the home delivered meal program has been set into overdrive. We are attempting to assure that everyone aged 60 and older receives a hot, nutritious, home delivered meal.
Your generous support will help us replace an aging nutrition delivery van, which will be used to deliver meals to the towns of Wymore, Diller and Odell. We have delivered 6,820 meals, from July 2019 to June 2020, just to these three locations!
How can you make a difference?
- Become a home delivered meal volunteer
- Make a tax-deductible donation (make checks payable to Big Give Gage or Gage County Foundation)
With your donation we can continue providing home delivered meals to our vulnerable seniors.
Additional Housekeeping and Handyman Service Hours
Blue Rivers Area Agency on Aging teams up contracted Housekeeper/Handyman with those who meet the program guidelines. All Housekeeper/Handyman staff are screened and background checked before receiving assignments. $10,000 will provide for 1000 additional hours of housekeeping/handyman services to the Elderly in our community. Here are some of the tasks these services provide to help our Elderly stay in their community homes:
1. General housework
- Clean the floors
- Laundry (client pays for laundromat expense)
- Clean bathroom - can include sink, tub/shower, and stool
- Clean kitchen - can include sink, range top, refrigerator, and counter
- Spring and Fall cleaning
2. Light Meal Preparation
3. Errands and Shopping Assistance
- General shopping - can include grocery store, drug store, etc.
- Bill paying
- Other necessary errands to help client stay at home
- Mow lawns
- Scoop Sidewalks
- Clean gutters
- Clean windows in Spring (if not provided by housekeeper program)
- Minor foundation work (dirt fill, minor patch)
- Trim trees, hedges, or bushes - but only if hazard and rubbing on home
- Minor repairs (no home improvement)
- Patch roof (no complete roof jobs)
- Repair porch steps and/or porches
- Light plumbing* like faucets, washers, sink traps, toilets, etc.
- Light electrical* like switches, outlets, fuses, replacing broken light fixtures, etc.
- Safety Modifications
- Grab bars*
- Wheelchair ramps*
*Regulatory codes may dictate who can perform these tasks
Last year we raised over $800 to help offset costs associated with basic house maintenance, cleaning and repairs for local older individuals. We were able to provide over 12000 hours of housekeeping & handyman services in 2018-2019, and we can't wait to show you what we are planning for the Big Give in 2020!